Welcome to the pack! Three Timberline Middle School students share what they like about their new school.
Naming Facilities and Mascots
The following procedures are to be followed in naming new schools and selecting new school mascots:
- Principal meets with prospective or current students of the school at assembly to explain criteria and procedure.
- Students nominate school names and mascots that meet specific guidelines.
- Committee of parents, staff, and students (if secondary) pare list down to 6-8 names that meet approved guidelines. If proposed name for school is that of a person, approval from the person's family/estate is sought.
- Names/mascots are presented to the Board of Directors for review.
- A ballot is developed; each student receives one. Ballots must be submitted by specified due date in order to count.
- Committee counts ballots and determines winning name/mascot. If winning name is that of a person, the person's family/estate is contacted. The district must obtain written confirmation of permission to use a person's name.
- Name is presented to Board of Directors for approval.
The following procedures are to be followed in the petition to change mascots:
- Current student(s) initiate a petition to change the mascot to the current student body. Petition must identify the rationale for requested mascot change.
- Upon collection of signatures of 10% of the student body, students may submit the petition, including the rationale for requested mascot change, to the school principal for consideration.
- School and district administration (the school principal; Director, School Support; Deputy Superintendent, and Superintendent) shall review the petition and rationale, and the Superintendent shall make a recommendation to the Board of Directors to approve or deny the petition.
- The Board of Directors will approve or deny the petition to change the school's mascot.
a. Should the Board of Directors approve the petition, a vote of the entire current student body will be conducted.
i. Should a majority of the current student body vote to change the mascot, the school shall initiate the process for selecting a new mascot, as outlined above.
ii. Should a majority of the current student body vote to keep the mascot, the mascot will remain unchanged.
b. Should the Board of Directors deny the petition, the mascot will remain unchanged.
Renaming of Existing Facilities
The following procedures are to be followed in renaming existing facilities:
- Principal or administrator designated by the superintendent meets with staff and with students and parents, as applicable, to explain the rationale for the initiation of the renaming process.
- Principal or administrator designated by the superintendent convenes a representative committee of staff, students, and parents, as applicable, to generate a list of potential alternative names.
- Representative committee pares the list down to three possible names.
- Names are presented to the superintendent for consideration and superintendent determines the final name.
- Name is presented to the Board of Directors.